5 Things You Must Look for When Buying a Used Car
Are you considering buying a used car? When chosen carefully, buying a used car instead of a new one can save you a lot of money and provide you with a reliable way to get around town. It’s important, however, to make sure you know what you’re doing when buying a used car, so we’ve put together a great list of tips to help you.
There are many factors to consider when purchasing a car, new or used, and it’s vital to ensure you understand what you want and what will best suit your needs. If you’re interested in learning five things you need to be on the lookout for when buying a used car, then continue reading.
1. Figure out what kind of car you want
Unless you’re working with a minimal budget, you should have some choice in what kind of used car you buy. You need to think about all of the following features and determine which are must-have versus nice-to-have:
- Do you want your car to have two doors or four?
- Do you need air conditioning in your car?
- Do you want somewhere to plug in your smartphone?
- Do you want features like heated seats or a built-in entertainment system?
While you may not be able to get a used car with everything on your list, figuring out what’s most important to you will help you narrow down your selection.
2. Start looking for your car
Now that you’ve figured out what features are most important to you, it’s time to see what’s available. You can find information about used cars in many different places (both online and off). These are some of the most popular ones:
- Online listings
- Printed buying guides
- The classified section in your local newspaper
- Public auctions
- Local dealerships
3. Take the car for a test drive
Now that you’ve found a car that suits your needs and budget, taking it for a test drive is essential. As good as a car may look sitting in a driveway or on a dealer’s lot, you can’t really know how well it’ll work until you take it for a test drive.
Make sure you try out a variety of driving scenarios, such as:
- Speeding up and slowing down
- Turning corners
- Signaling and changing lanes
Don’t forget to try out features such as the car’s lights, stereo system, and windshield wipers. You don’t want to get a nasty surprise the first time you drive your car after dark or in the rain!
4. Have a pre-purchase inspection done on the car
Once you’ve done a test drive of the car and you want to move forward with buying it, arrange for a pre-purchase inspection. Just as with buying a house, it’s important to be aware of any issues you may have with a car you’re thinking of buying.
If you buy a car with serious issues, you may end up with a hefty repair bill or even a car accident! So, it’s well worth the time and money to get a pre-purchase inspection done on your vehicle.
5. Get an insurance quote for the car
Before you purchase your used car, it’s vital to get a quote on auto insurance. You don’t want to purchase your used car only to find out that you can’t afford auto insurance in Nova Scotia.
When looking for quotes on used car insurance, you should contact an auto insurance broker. They can get you quotes from several different insurance companies at once, so you can save yourself time and money when shopping for car insurance.
How can Archway Insurance help me with auto insurance?
At Archway Insurance, we’ve here to help ensure you get the Nova Scotia-based auto insurance you need. Our goal is to make certain that everyone can get the financial protection they require, which is why we sell a wide variety of insurance.
If this is your first time buying a car, you may have many questions about getting insurance for your vehicle. That’s okay because we’re here to help you! We can explain everything you need to know about purchasing insurance for your car, whether it’s new or used, including:
- What kind of auto insurance is mandatory: When you buy auto insurance in Nova Scotia, you’ll have to get coverage that includes liability for damage caused to other people or their property, accident benefits to pay for physical injuries, and for accidents caused by an unidentified motorist.
- Other (optional) insurance to consider: You can buy additional insurance for your car, but you don’t have to. A few examples of these are comprehensive insurance for damage done to your car that isn’t the result of hitting another vehicle, or rental car insurance, which covers the cost of renting a car while yours is being repaired.
- How an insurance deductible works: An insurance deductible is the amount of money you pay if you have to put in an insurance claim before your insurance company starts to cover any expenses. You can choose to increase your deductible as one way of lowering your auto insurance premiums.
We’ll shop around to get you the best price for insurance on your used vehicle.
Patience Is Key
When shopping for a used car, it’s essential to take the time to think carefully about what kind of car you can afford (including the cost of insurance), and make sure you get it properly inspected before you buy it.
At Archway Insurance, we’re here to ensure you get auto insurance coverage that gives you peace of mind and the financial protection you need. To learn more about how we can help you get car insurance in Nova Scotia, call us at 1-833-536-0529 or contact us online. We’re here for all your insurance needs in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and PEI.