Do You Need to Add Your Teen Driver to Your Auto Insurance Policy?
So, a teenager in your house is learning how to drive or about to start. Congratulations. While it can be a bit nerve-wracking to have a new teenage driver in the family, it also gives you more freedom as your teen can now start to drive on their own.
Anyone who is driving needs to have insurance coverage. This article explains everything you need to know about adding your teen driver to your Nova Scotia auto insurance.
We’ll answer the following questions:
- What do I need to know about adding my teen driver to my auto insurance policy?
- How can I save money on my teen’s auto insurance policy?
- What else do I need to know about having my teen covered by Nova Scotia auto insurance?
At Archway Insurance, we can find Nova Scotia auto insurance coverage for your teen at a price that works for you.
What do I need to know about adding my teen to my auto insurance policy?
Before you let your teen apply for a learner’s permit, it’s essential to add them to your auto insurance policy. These are some of the things to keep in mind when adding your teen to your auto insurance:
- You may be able to add them at no charge to your auto insurance while they have their learner’s permit. Your insurance broker can confirm this for you.
- You will have to contact your insurance broker once your teen can drive alone, which will impact the cost of your auto insurance.
- Make sure you ask your Nova Scotia auto insurance broker to shop around in order to get you the best rate on insurance.
How can I save money?
While you’re excited about having a new driver in the family, you also want to make sure that you can afford the auto insurance you need for them. There are several ways you can save on auto insurance for your teen driver:
- Ask your insurance broker to shop for different quotes on auto insurance.
- Add your teen to your auto insurance as a secondary driver. A secondary driver uses the car occasionally, thus cutting down on the risk they’ll be in an accident. This means that they can qualify for lower premiums.
- Make sure your teen attends driving school, and ask for a certificate so you can provide proof they attended the school.
- If you’re buying a car for your new driver, buy a used vehicle, not a new one. A used car will have lower insurance rates in Nova Scotia.
What else do I need to know about having my teen covered by auto insurance?
When obtaining Nova Scotia auto insurance, you must ensure that your teen driver understands what rules they must abide by as a new driver.
Nova Scotia has graduated licensing, which has three phases:
- Learner’s License phase. At this level, the driver can’t have anyone else in the car except a supervising driver.
- Newly Licensed phase. Passengers are allowed in this phase, but no driving is allowed between midnight and 5 a.m. except for work.
- Restricted Individual phase. In this phase, passengers are allowed, and there are no time restrictions on when a driver can drive.
If a teen driver does not obey the rules of these license phases, they may have their auto insurance suspended. Talk to your auto insurance broker for more information about this issue.
How can Archway Insurance help me?
Are you looking for Nova Scotia auto insurance for your teen driver? Archway Insurance can help you with that. When you come to us to ask about getting auto insurance for your teen driver, we’ll:
- Explain your coverage options for auto insurance in Nova Scotia.
- Ask you for information about your new teen driver, such as whether they’ve taken a driving course and how often you expect them to be driving.
- Shop around for the best price on auto insurance.
- Find a quote you like, and get your teen’s auto insurance in place.
Life can be complicated, but getting Nova Scotia auto insurance for your teen doesn’t have to be. We’ll ensure that your teen has auto coverage at an affordable rate.
Make Sure Your Teen Has the Right Auto Insurance
It’s essential to ensure that your teen has auto insurance coverage, even if they only have their learner’s permit.
At Archway Insurance, we can discuss the different auto insurance coverage options available to you and your teen and then shop around to find the lowest price available.
Having a new teen driver in the family can be stressful, but the right auto insurance coverage can give you peace of mind that you’ve got financial protection in case of an accident.
The best gift you can give your teen driver is the confidence and experience they need to drive safely, along with the Nova Scotia auto insurance they need to protect themselves.
Contact Us to Learn More
If you’ve got a teen in your house who wants to learn how to drive, you must ensure they have the proper auto insurance coverage.