How to File an Insurance Claim After a Burglary
Your home is your castle — it’s where you feel safe and secure and relax after a long day. And of course, you take precautions to keep it safe — you have locks on your windows and doors, and perhaps a security system or a doorbell camera.
Despite all of this, unfortunately, you may find that someone breaks into your house. This is upsetting and scary. At Archway Insurance, we want to make sure you can get back to normal as soon as possible. We’re here to help you make sure you know how to file a claim and get all the coverage you’re entitled to.
We’ll talk about:
- What kind of coverage your home insurance policy offers you.
- What limits there might be on your claim.
- What steps you need to take to file a claim.
We pride ourselves on providing top-notch service, and we’ll tell you how Archway Insurance can help you get a great home insurance policy as well.
What kind of coverage does my home insurance policy give me in case of a break-in?
Your coverage will vary depending on the type of home insurance policy you have and what kinds of coverage you’ve elected to have.
- If there is damage to your house itself — e.g. a door or window is broken by the burglar — then dwelling coverage will pay for any repairs or replacements needed.
- Personal property coverage is another big part of home insurance. If a burglar steals items in your home, the cost to replace them (up to a specified amount) is also covered by your home insurance.
Before the Claim
It’s important to keep an up-to-date list of valuable items you own, serial numbers (if applicable), and photographs or video as well. Keep receipts for high-ticket items like cameras and jewelry. In the event of a claim, this will help speed the claim process and ensure you don’t miss claiming any stolen items.
Home Insurance Coverage Limits and Deductibles
When you are looking for reimbursement from your insurance company, you should be aware that:
- Home insurance policies have limits — this is the maximum amount an insurance company will pay you for a covered claim. For example, if you have expensive jewelry, works of art or keep large amounts of cash on hand your basic policy may not offer enough coverage for you.
- Home insurance policies also have deductibles — this is the amount out of the overall claims you are responsible to pay. Many homeowners policies have a $1,000 deductible with options to increase or decrease this limit.
At Archway Insurance, we can work with you to determine what coverage limit and deductible make the most sense for you.
- If your home needs repairs due to a break-in, you are entitled to repairs done with the same materials that your home was originally constructed with. You are unlikely to max out your coverage in this situation, as standard home insurance dwelling coverage usually goes up to the amount necessary to rebuild your house.
- The amount of money you will receive for anything stolen or damaged will depend on the type of coverage you have. If your home insurance includes “replacement cost” coverage for anything stolen, you’ll be reimbursed for what you’d pay for it today. If you have “actual cash value” coverage, then you will only be reimbursed for what the stolen item would be worth today — not what it would cost to buy new. You should be aware that for high-ticket items, you will likely have a “cap” in your home insurance policy that limits how much reimbursement you’ll get.
What steps do I need to take to file a claim?
These are the steps we recommend you take if your home has been burglarized:
- Call the police. Unless the robbery is actively in progress, use the non-emergency number.
- Call your insurance company. We can recommend companies if you need emergency repairs — such as a new lock or windows boarded up.
- Take photos or videos of the state of your house. As well, check for high-ticket items to see if they are missing, so you can give the police a preliminary list when they arrive.
- Make a list of all your stolen items. Put together any evidence you have of ownership (photos, receipts, etc.) then follow up with your insurance company to finish filing your claim.
It can be scary and overwhelming to have your house broken into. At Archway Insurance, we’re here to help guide you through the process of filing a claim with your insurance company so you can get things back to normal as soon as possible.
How can Archway Insurance help me with home insurance?
Home insurance is important for so many reasons. It can help you in case of damage from storms and fires, as well as theft and accidents. You’ve worked hard for your home, and you deserve to keep it, no matter what happens to it. Home insurance can help make sure that you’re financially prepared to weather any event.
These are the main components of home insurance:
Dwelling: This provides for the repair, rebuilding, or replacement coverage for the basic structure of your house and any outbuildings such as garages and sheds.
Personal property: This is for replacing lost or damaged belongings such as furniture, appliances, electronics, and any other personal effects – everything from clothing to books.
Personal liability: This will help you pay for claims for either personal injury or property damage suffered by a third party in your house.
Additional living expenses: This covers the cost of temporary living arrangements, such as a hotel or rental unit.
We’ll work with you to customize your coverage to make it work for your budget and your property. We have connections with numerous leading insurance providers to make sure you get the right home insurance policy at the right price.
We Want To Make Sure You’re Protected
At Archway Insurance, our main goal is to give you peace of mind. We can’t stop bad things such as burglaries from happening to you, but we can give you the resources to help you get your home fixed quickly and reimbursements for the stolen items.
You’ve learned today about all of the following:
- What kind of coverage your home insurance policy provides if you are burglarized.
- What limits or deductibles there might be on your claim.
- All the steps you need to take to file a claim.
Being able to call a friendly and capable broker is exactly what you need if your home has been broken into. If you have any questions about your home insurance policy or are looking for a new one, please reach out to us at 1-833-544-0475 or contact us online.