Rising Car Theft in Moncton
You depend on your car a lot. You need it to get you around Moncton—whether that’s to run errands, get the kids to school, or go out and meet with friends. Unfortunately, as a car owner, one thing you need to be concerned about is car theft. There’s nothing worse than that sinking feeling you get when you come back to where you parked your car, and you can’t find it.
In this post, we’ll talk about what you need to know about rising car theft in Moncton, including the following:
- Cars can get stolen directly from car dealerships.
- Catalytic converters are a common target for car thieves.
- Cars are stolen for several different reasons.
At Archway Insurance, we’re here to help ensure you’re covered if you’re a victim of car theft in Moncton.
Cars Can Get Stolen Directly From Dealerships
A car doesn’t have to be parked on a street or in a parking garage to get stolen; it can even be stolen directly from a car dealership! In late 2021, eleven cars were stolen directly from a Moncton car dealership.
While all the cars were recovered, dealing with the theft was still an enormous amount of stress and hassle for the car dealership. The fact that cars can be stolen from anywhere is just one reason it’s crucial to consider auto insurance in Moncton from Archway Insurance.
Catalytic Converters are a Common Target for Car Thieves
While a car thief may not steal your entire car, it may be stripped of parts. One of the most popular parts for a car thief to take is a catalytic convertor.
A catalytic converter is part of your exhaust system. Its purpose is to change harmful pollutants from your car into less toxic ones before they are emitted into the environment. Since they are made from precious metals like platinum, palladium, and rhodium, they’re very attractive to car thieves.
A Moncton-based auto insurance policy from Archway Insurance can provide you with financial protection if these expensive parts are stolen from your car.
Cars are Stolen for Several Different Reasons
You may think that just because your car isn’t “flashy” or expensive, it may not be popular with car thieves. However, there are many different reasons people may want to steal a car. These are the most common ones:
- To resell abroad. This is more common for luxury or high-end vehicles. Such cars are stolen and then immediately shipped overseas to be resold.
- To sell locally. A car can either be dismantled and sold for parts, or the VIN can be falsified and sold to an unsuspecting buyer.
- To commit another crime. Someone wishing to commit a crime (for example, a bank robbery) may want a vehicle that can’t be traced back to them, so they steal a car and then abandon it.
No matter why a car is stolen, it’s vital to have an Archway Insurance policy to cover it.
How can Archway Insurance help me if I own a car in Moncton?
Don’t let this article scare you off from either getting a car or driving one around Moncton! We don’t want you to give up driving just because there’s a chance your car could get stolen.
The best thing you can do to help give yourself peace of mind is to get an auto insurance policy from Archway Insurance. When you reach out to Archway Insurance, our brokers will talk to you about everything you need to know about auto insurance.
An Archway Insurance broker can explain:
- Why it’s so important to have auto insurance, including the fact that it’s required by law.
- What different types of auto insurance coverage you must have. At a minimum, you must have liability coverage for damage you cause to other people or their property, accident benefits to cover costs if you’re physically injured in an accident, and coverage for accidents caused by an unidentified motorist.
- What different types of additional coverage you may wish to purchase. Two of the most popular types of additional coverage are collision insurance (which covers the cost of repairing your vehicle if it’s damaged by another car), and comprehensive insurance (which covers the cost of repairing your vehicle if it’s damaged by hitting an animal or your garage collapses on your car).
- How we work at Archway Insurance to ensure you have all the protection needed in Moncton.
At Archway Insurance, we work and live in Atlantic Canada. Therefore, we’re familiar with the specific risks and issues you need to be aware of if you drive in Moncton and the surrounding area, and we will work with you to ensure you get the exact auto insurance coverage required.
We can give you tips on how to protect your vehicle from theft, and let you know exactly what you’ll need to do if your vehicle is stolen.
What You Need to Know About Rising Car Theft
There are a lot of great things about living in Moncton! One thing you need to be aware of, however, is the risk of your car getting stolen. We’ve covered three essential things you need to know about car theft in Moncton:
- A car can get stolen from anywhere—even from a car dealership.
- A very commonly stolen car part is a catalytic converter.
- There are several reasons why cars are stolen, including to be resold (either locally or overseas) and to commit another crime.
At Archway Insurance in Moncton, we want you to have peace of mind about your car. We can’t guarantee that your car will never be stolen, but we can make sure you have financial protection in place if it is! We’ll talk to you about how we can get your auto insurance at a price that works for you and provides the coverage you need.